Policies & Privacy Statement
Please note this statement may be revised prior to WFC 2020 based upon the specific needs of World Fantasy members and the World Fantasy Convention in general.
We want our convention to be a safe, comfortable, and enjoyable experience for all of us. The convention committee and the sponsoring organization have set the following standards of expected behavior which apply to everyone.
We at World Fantasy Convention 2020 are sensitive to the challenges indigenous, marginalized and historically underrepresented peoples face in today’s environment. WFC2020 abhors the inequalities African Americans are confronted with in policing and other aspects of society, and we stand with them. Equity, and inclusion are at the heart of our vision of diversity for our Virtual World Fantasy Convention 2020. We are committed to ensuring that all are given equal opportunities to participate in all aspects of the online convention. We recognize that diversity in literature and art enriches the fantasy and horror genres, and we are here to embrace it.
Code of Conduct
Every attendee of WFC 2020 is entitled to a harassment-free convention experience regardless of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, race, national origin, or religion. Harassment to any person or group of persons will not be tolerated.
Harassment includes—but is not limited to—threats of inappropriate contact, unwelcome sexual attention, offensive verbal comments, deliberate intimidation, both on- and off-line stalking or following someone, taking harassing photography or recordings, sending inappropriate instant messages either public or private, displaying inappropriate content while screen sharing, and disrupting talks or other events. Anyone asked to stop any harassing behavior is expected to comply immediately. A request to "stop" or "go away" means exactly that. "Yes" means Yes, "No" means NO, and "maybe some other time" also means NO. Please take No for an answer, for everything from simple social requests to intimate encounters.
If anyone engages in harassing behavior, the convention committee may warn the offender, remove the offender from the virtual event, or expel the offender from the convention with no refund at the discretion of the Chair and Vice-Chair. These rules apply for all virtual events hosted, presented, and offered by the convention.
If you feel that you are being discriminated against or harassed, or if you notice someone violating convention policies, we respectfully suggest the following:
1. If you feel comfortable doing so, point out the inappropriate behavior to the person(s) involved. Often this will solve the problem immediately.
2. If you do not feel comfortable talking with the person(s) involved or if talking to them does not resolve the issue, please report the situation, immediately to a Board member, a Convention Committee member, Operations Staff, the Registration Staff or the site moderation staff. Please try to provide a name(s), username(s), and/or description of the malicious content posted by the person(s) involved.
3. In order to take action, we need to know about any incidents during the convention event. Please know that we will take action upon our notification. Incidents can be reported to any of the site moderators . Issues can also be reported later to ChairGinny@wfc2020.org or you can contact the site moderation channel[placeholder name] directly.
4. We will respect the wishes of the affected parties within the constraints of law. Please note that if the form of harassment violates the law, we are obligated to report it to the appropriate authorities.
5. We may share information about policy violations and violators with the World Fantasy Board and future World Fantasy Conventions.
This convention is a membership-only event, and your Login ID and password are your admissions pass to convention activities. The Login ID will replace your badge and will be uniquely associated with you. Login and password information may not be shared under any circumstances; this information is valid only for the person to whom it was issued. Only one device may utilize the same password at one time. To log in to a different device, the user will need to first log out of their previous one. The convention will be inaccessible for anyone not using their Login credentials to access the virtual content.
Do not post, display, or link to any not safe for work (NSFW) material before, during, or after the convention. Any content found posted inappropriately will be removed and destroyed. Remember, what you say and do in an online setting is often permanent.
During the convention, no threats of violence or displays of personal weapons will be permitted. Displaying a personal weapon during a virtual session may be interpreted as an act of inappropriate aggression.
We collect your information to allow the convention committee and staff to provide you better services. Your personal information will be kept strictly confidential. We will ask your consent before sharing your information with anyone outside this convention committee. Please note, these rules remain unchanged whether the convention is physical or virtual.
Privacy Statement - List of Conditions
1. We must retain records relating to member registration and financial transactions. Other than this obligation, at a user's request, we will remove any information about the user from all online systems after the WFC 2022 convention.
2. According to WFC policy, contact information will be shared with the next two World Fantasy Conventions to allow our members the right to exercise their World Fantasy Award nomination rights. If you do not want your information shared with future conventions, please indicate that on your registration form. Please note: if you do not wish your contact information shared with WFC 2021 and WFC 2022, you may not receive notifications about submitting your WFA nomination ballot.
3. Member financial payment information, e.g. credit card numbers, does not come to us through online payment systems (PayPal and Square); such information is handled exclusively by the online payment service. (We utilize only Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliant companies when processing your credit cards.) Credit card information submitted physically (through a signed credit card slip) is kept secure and is not shared with anyone or used for any purpose other than the membership or other transaction requested by the member. Any physical copies of credit card information are shredded as soon as the payment has been finalized.
4. The Utah Fandom Organization [UFO] is the sponsoring organization for this convention. UFO observes the laws of the United States, the State of Utah, the rules of the World Fantasy Board, and the by-laws of UFO. Within the practical limits and resources of a non-profit volunteer organization, we will observe international best practices for privacy as well as transparency in relation to information-storage and privacy policies.
Some program panels may be recorded, when the panelists' permission is obtained prior to recording. Members of the convention in the audience may be recorded or filmed if they comment or ask questions during the program panel or as part of general background in the course of filming. The convention cannot guarantee that a member will not be photographed as part of Convention Activities. If you have a significant justification for requesting a 'blackout' policy for your likeness, please contact us prior to the convention.
A site moderator with their online credentials and "WFC moderator" displayed on their icon will be responsible for any recordings or official WFC pictures taken during the virtual convention.
No virtual convention content may be recorded on your personal device nor may it be shared. Screen capturing or recording is not allowed unless it is with the explicit consent of the convention staff and convention attendees. Never make requests that someone may consider rude or suggestive. [See Code of Conduct above]
We are committed to providing the best possible experience to all our attendees, including those who need visual or auditory interpretive assistance, or who require other assistance.
A point of contact for members requiring special assistance will be established to assist with your inquiries and to answer any questions you may have. In the meantime, please contact ChairGinny@wfc2020.org or any of our site moderators if questions arise during the convention.
Click here to view in French:
Click here to view in Spanish:
SLC WFC 2020 will take every precaution to protect your personal information. We collect only the information we need in order to process your membership in the World Fantasy Convention and all the benefits included with membership. The information you enter in the registration form or on our website will be:
stored safely in an encrypted database
kept strictly confidential, unless you indicate a desire to have your name published on the WFC 2020 website as an attending or supporting member
shared only with the committee members who are necessary to process your membership information, badge printing, and award nomination privileges
Please Note: Your membership in WFC 2020 entitles you to submit a nomination ballot for the World Fantasy Awards for three consecutive years (beginning with 2020). Your contact information will NOT be shared with the WFC 2021 and 2022 chairpersons, unless you indicate otherwise on your registration form.
At the close of WFC 2022, your membership information will be deleted from the WFC 2020 database and all other places it may be stored which are under the control of WFC 2020.